Wednesday, March 21, 2012

New Space Marine Army


With schedule changes and the constant need to be available for other things on my usual Warhammer night I decided to make the swap back over to 40K after not playing it for several years.  Back when I used to play I was doing it all the time.  Before I used a highly modified zombie Imperial Guard army that include “ghost-a-fied” Witch Hunters; they were fun to use.  Before that I used Speed Freak Orks.  However because of all the rules and codex changes I’ve decided to keep all those packed away and instead build all the Space Marines I’ve had laying around for years.  (I'll post about my rule change frustrations in the future.)

For those of you who haven’t played 40K for years, for some reason the longer you play 40K the more Space Marines you pick up without even realizing it.  I picked up most of mine from buying the box set to get the mini-rulebooks and from running into kids who wanted to unload their poorly built and barely primed figs.  The last few things I really wanted to try I picked up at Crossroad Games which I highly recommend for all your gaming needs.

So what do I have?  Here is my working list of everything…

Built or mostly built:

  • 1 Lysander (picked up from some auction for cheap and it is a good looking model)
  • 1 Captain (from the box set)
  • 1 Chaplin (was $1 but had to strip a lot of paint off of it)
  • 5 Terminators with 1 heavy flamer (from the box set but added Imperial Fist arms that I ordered through Crossroads)
  •  10 Tactical Squad Marines with flamers and missile launchers x 4.  (from box set and some kids who were dumping stuff, I wish they had some more weapon variety but oh well)
  •  5 Space Marines with lascannons or a plasma cannon that can be subbed in to the 4 tactical squads or used to turn one tactical squad into a devastator squad (from the same kids)
  • 3 Rhino/Razorbacks built so they can be used either way.  I also have turrets to make 2 of them Predators (also from some kid and maybe a store deal)
  • 1 Land Raider (some kid nearly ruined it but I was able to get it looking right again, had to glue the doors shut)
  • 5 Scouts with sniper rifles (new from Crossroads)
  • 5 Scouts with pistol and weapon (new from Crossroads)
  •  5 Scouts with shotguns (new from Crossroads)
  • 1 Land Speeder Scout (new from Crossroads, I’ve yet to see anyone even use one yet)
  •  1 Land Speeder (no idea)


In a pile so I need to decide if I want to build them:

  • 2 More Land Speeders (not sure yet if I’ll build, one I got from some kid and is missing a lot pieces so I might turn it into an objective)
  • 10ish more Space Marines (not likely to finish so I don’t need more than 40 marines)
  •  5 Assault Marines (not likely to finish since I’m going to have too many Fast choices)
  •  2 Predators


Things I want to get still:

  • 1 More Land Speeder Scout (maybe, I don’t want to be spaming the same unit but I like the idea of using lots of scout units)
  •  3 or 5 Scout Bikers (maybe)
  • 5 More Scouts but with bolters (maybe, I want to be able to keep to units of 10 and right now I have 15)
  •  5 More Terminators (just so I have a full unit of 10 but with the point cost I’m not sure if I would ever field a full unit)


As you can see this is more than enough 2000 point game, I might even be able to get to 3000.  I wish I had more options (such as plasma guns or melta guns) but with getting deals from other people you’re kinda stuck with what they had.  I might try to fix this with a bits order from GW but we’ll see.

Why so many scouts?  Half the 40K armies are some version of Space Marines and of those I almost never see anyone use scouts.  I like trying to win with unusual things as opponents seem more engaged when dealing with something they don’t normally see.  Most importantly, I like how the scouts look.  I’m a big fan of picking models that look good and building fluff and lists around that.

I the future I’ll make more posts about how I paint them, the fluff, and the lists I end up using.

No comments:

Post a Comment